Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Testimonies - July 14, 2014

"Testimonies invoke an awakening to a witness in our own spiritual experience."

This week was pretty great!

Monday: Our Zone earned a Zone P-day, where all the missionaries in our zone got together to play games and have fun! We earned it by having all 7 of our companionships baptizing at least one person over the 3 months of March, April, and May. And 6 of the areas stayed with someone baptized from April, May, and June. And we had found 30 new investigators in those areas in one week, so we are really excited to be seeing so many miracles in our zone! I enjoyed taking some pictures and watching everyone play chair soccer, kickball dodgeball, baseball with a tennis ball, and volleyball. Monday night I also played disc golf on exchanges with the Zone Leaders and their investigator who was baptized and confirmed in the last 2 days. I ended up losing my disc on a bad skip on the road that went through the hole. But it was fun!

Tuesday: We went to Iowa City for my doctor's appointment. I got some more x-rays and an MRI on my ankle. Turns out, the fracture in my heel is very minute and is not the main problem. There were "no obvious issues with the ligaments or tendons," but they put me in a cast to keep it stabilized. I still have 2 pockets of fluid in my ankle. They weren't sure how to describe why they were there. So I am keeping it elevated and am enjoying the cast until my follow-up appointment on the 22nd.

Wednesday: My ankle was a bit tender and sore from all the movement and tests from Tuesday, and from being in a cast, and it was our last day of the week with the truck, but we had some good times.

Thursday: We had a wonderful district meeting.

Friday: We had a good time weekly planning and having our appointment fall through.

Saturday: We taught a few lessons and one of our investigators asked us to help him with a service project. Every year about this time, HyVee (a Midwest grocery store chain), sells roses for $1 each. So Mike, our investigator, buys enough roses to hand out to all of the residents at the Good Samaritan Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center. He recruited us and the Hermanas to help hand them out. It was so much fun and brought me back to singing at the nursing home as a primary child in West Linn.

Sunday: Church was marvelous and I really enjoyed the teachings that were given and the Spirit that was felt. Satan is devious, there was a cricket that started chirping immediately after the Sacrament prayer. But the Spirit was still super strong as the speakers in Sacrament meeting spoke on the Doctrine of Christ with focus on Baptism and the Holy Ghost.

I have had a lot of opportunity to sit and ponder and read the scriptures and listen to marvelous talks by General Authorities with my injury. I really love the words of Christ.

I love how Doctrine & Covenants 68:1-6 state it:
My servant, Orson Hyde, was called by his ordination to proclaim the everlasting gospel, by the Spirit of the living God, from people to people, and from land to land, in the congregations of the wicked, in their synagogues, reasoning with and expounding all scriptures unto them.

And, behold, and lo, this is an ensample unto all those who were ordained unto this priesthood, whose mission is appointed unto them to go forth—

And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.

And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.

Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.

Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come.

What is given you of the Spirit may become your personal scripture. The quote I began this email with was given to me yesterday as I had a pen in hand as I listened to a talk by Emeritus Seventy, Elder Marlin K. Jensen, the CES Fireside from June 2012

Love,
Elder Zachary R McKenzie
Iowa Des Moines Mission
D&C 6:34, 36
  Doubt Not, Fear Not.

Pictures:
So... Hermana Eggett sprained her ankle at Zone P-day playing baseball with a tennis ball. It's pretty ridiculous!
What one member calls, Buzzard Roost. These towers overlook the river. They were all perched there. Elder Epperson was saying how cool it would be if there was a gunshot or a firework that went off and sent all the vultures flying. Well, a firework went off. Boom.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment