Monday, December 16, 2013

The Power of the Scriptures - November 4, 2013

51 days until Christmas! :) (For some reason today has felt very Christmassy for me, when I was playing basketball, of all times to feel Christmassy...)
 
This week was a good one. Elder Fiso and I were with other missionaries on exchanges for 2.5 days this last week. It was pretty crazy. We had a good time at our branches Halloween party on Wednesday. We have had all of our investigators but 1 drop us in the last week. If you get the chance, please pray that we will find new investigators this week! Elder Fiso was sick Saturday, so we stayed in all day, it was a very productive week considering we were not able to work Wednesday or Thursday night or at all Saturday.
 
I have had some very good, personal experiences this week. I don't want to share them in detail with you all, but I want you to know that I truly have come closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ this week. I know my Father in Heaven knows me and is aware of me.
 
The scriptures are the most powerful resource we have, next to prayer, and the sacrament. Take part in all of these things as often as time permits. And give yourself some time to ponder and meditate upon the things therein. It is so easy to just get in the motions of reading, praying, and going to church. It is even easy to say, "I've read these things before, there is nothing I haven't read." And that may be true, but God reveals through His Spirit to us. This great article from Elder Mervyn B. Arnold in the August 2013 ensign tells us one way to receive revelation through the scriptures. President Boyd K. Packer in the October 2013 General Conference said:
"Years ago, Elder S. Dilworth Young of the Seventy taught me a lesson about reading the scriptures. A stake was struggling with tensions and difficulties among the members, and counsel needed to be given.
I asked President Young, “What should I say?”
He answered simply, “Tell them to read the scriptures.”
I asked, “Which scriptures?”
He said, “It really doesn’t matter. Tell them to open up the Book of Mormon, for instance, and begin to read. Soon the feeling of peace and inspiration will come, and a solution will present itself.”
Make scripture reading a part of your regular routine, and the blessings will follow. There is in the scriptures a voice of warning, but there is also great nourishment."
Read the scriptures daily, know they can help you and that God will help you as you seek to follow Him.
 
He testifies to us and speaks to our minds through the scriptures. Search them diligently, pray, and then continue onward. I know this is true.
 
Love, 
Elder Zachary R McKenzie
Iowa Des Moines Mission
D&C 6:34, 36
  Doubt Not, Fear Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment