Monday, October 28, 2013

It's Halloween! - October 28, 2013

Another week in the life of a missionary...
 
It seems as though I can't find a balance of spiritual things and what is actually going on in my missionary work. Last week, I got on my soapbox a little bit, but this week, I hope to give an update that lets everyone know exactly what I have been doing in Story City.
 
As a missionary, we often go on exchanges. The "Missionary Handbook" describes the what and the why for companion exchanges.
COMPANION EXCHANGES
Normally at least once every transfer cycle, a district leader works with each elder in his district. 

Companion exchanges are conducted by leaders to train missionaries. ... Companion exchanges should be planned in advance and should normally last 24 hours. The leader may bring the other missionary to his own area or work in the other missionary’s area. Usually the leader’s companion and the other missionary’s companion work in the other proselyting area. During the companion exchange, the leader should take part in as many phases of missionary work as possible, including finding, teaching, companionship study, language study (as appropriate), and daily planning.

He should review and discuss the missionary’s area book and daily planner. The leader teaches by example. In a spirit of love, he gives the missionary specific, direct, constructive feedback on what he does well and how he can improve. He helps the missionary understand and apply principles from Preach My Gospel, and he gives leadership training.

At the end of the exchange he reviews with the missionary what has happened and what has been learned during the exchange. He helps the missionary set goals and make plans. The leader reports on the exchange in his weekly letter to the mission president. 
   -- Missionary Handbook, pp. 63-65 
So I go on at least an exchange per week with the other Elders in my district. It is fun to work with my companion as well as see miracles and the teaching styles of other missionaries.
 
As for other happenings, I am coming closer to Christ and my Father in Heaven continually, and striving to help others do the same. Nothing super exciting or monumental has happened recently, so I am going about, trying to find people to teach, help the members become missionary minded, and reactivate less-active members. The weather is chilly, but the truth must go forward. It's interesting, I have had a dream just about every night for the last 5 months. I am not used to dreaming that much, but they all have something to do with good old missionary work! :)
 
That's the Story in Story City,
Elder Zachary R McKenzie
Iowa Des Moines Mission
D&C 6:34, 36
  Doubt Not, Fear Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment