Monday, September 10, 2012

Week 2 in the Field

Hey Everyone!

It has been an interesting second week in Kirksville. I am actually starting to find it is rubbing off on me. I could see myself living in a place like this.

The highlight from my week was probably exchanges with Elder Prows. He goes home at the end of this transfer, and though he is trunky, he is working hard. I got to know him better and I actually got to do some knocking on doors. It freaked me out to be talking to people. I am shy at first when I talk with people, and because I am extra new at this with being shy, it makes things hard. But it was some good experience.

I was going to bring my journal to remember what has happened in the past week, but I forgot. I did bring my study journal though, so I will share some insights from both my mind and my study journal.

We had dinner at the Potter's on Friday night. And yes, Brother Potter's first name is James. Sister Potter made 4 different kinds of Stromboli, or homemade calzones, or whatever you want to call them. They were delicious. We then taught them the 400 lesson. The lesson about our goal of 400 baptisms in the Iowa Des Moines Mission for 2012. For part of the lesson we share this DVD that some elders made based on the efforts of member missionary work. The DVD first shows a story put to music of how a girl shares a Book of Mormon with her testimony in it with a boy from her high school. They take the discussions and then the entire family is baptized. This part ends with a quote from the scripture Alma 37:6 "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." Then it shows part of a conference talk from President Eyring about the importance of members doing missionary work. The Potter's have 3 little kids, Addison who is 4 and a half, Denton who is 2 and a half, and Mikaela who is 5 months old. They remind me of Paul and Eve and make me a little bit homesick each time we go see them. When we were watching the excerpt of the talk, the kids were in their pajamas, the girls were being held by their parents and Denton was playing with blocks. It was about this time that I could have curled up on the couch and been perfectly at home. The spirit in members homes and the cleanliness is amazing. Even if you don't think it is too clean, it is better than the houses/trailers we go into that are filled with smoke and random piles of garbage. Going into any member's home feels like home. But that is when it hit me that they are our homes away from home. The reason they have the spirit, other than their testimonies is their way of life. They abide by the precepts set in D&C 88:119, 124-126.

May I ask that you all read Jacob chapter 4 this week. I read it this morning for personal study, and through applying it to myself, and really paying attention to what it said, I received some choice words of wisdom through the spirit. A few things I gleaned from my studies are as follows. Humility is the key to our Salvation. Read verse 8 after reading the Bible Dictionary entry on Mystery. When mystery is used in the scriptures, it doesn't mean what the modern meaning is. Give our glory to God (3 Nephi 12:16 (14-16)). God has control of the earth, don't try and tell Him what to do, listen to Him. The Spirit teaches plainly. Don't try and over complicate things. The Spirit teaches the truth; the Real Truth. Learn how to recognize the spirit as Jacob did. Not to only recognize, but to act on it after you recognize it.

There are some of my spiritual experiences. Read the scriptures and treasure up what you find, so the spirit can use them later (D&C 84:85). "Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration from on high. ... They can become stalwart friends that are not limited by geography or calendar." -Elder Richard G. Scott (The Power of Scripture, Oct 2011 General Conference, Saturday Morning Session)

I challenge you to reach out and to have a missionary experience. And when you do, share it in your next Fast and Testimony Meeting. You will have one if you pray for it and seek for it. "Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen." D&C 4:7.

Until Next Time,
Elder McKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment