Monday, April 28, 2014

Spiritual Edification - April 28, 2014

Greetings again from Iowa!

That might be getting a little old as I've been writing to you from Iowa for the last 16 months (the others were written in Missouri and the MTC). But, I love it, so you get to hear from me still. In Iowa. :)

This last week was a great one. Elder Schwendiman and I got back a little more in the missionary groove this week. We taught lots of lessons and really worked with our recent converts to make sure they are still solid. Kitt, who was baptized in December, is awesome. He had fallen off track a bit over the last month. We met with him about a week and a half ago and he got right on back, reading and praying every day! Doug, who was baptized conference weekend, got back in town and he will hopefully receive the Aaronic Priesthood next Sunday! Keith, who was baptized and confirmed just after Thanksgiving last year, is going to receive the Aaronic Priesthood too! It's really exciting!

We were able to find a new investigator named Kim last Tuesday. Sadly, she texted us Wednesday saying our church wasn't the church for her. She is going to get back to her old commitment to following Christ though, which is great!

District meetings are one way that kind of reflect where I am at spiritually for the week. I pray to plan them, then give instruction in them, and conduct them. This last week we had an incredible meeting with the feelings described in Doctrine & Covenants 50:22, "Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." I love spiritual learning, teaching, and edification.

We had Ward Conference yesterday. We had probably 20 visitors from the Stake including the entire Stake Presidency. It was really neat. Our bishop gave an inspired address on the Prodigal Son. I was able to play a piece I have recently arranged for the special musical number. Brother Topolinski, the recently reactivated member I spoke about a few weeks ago, bore a great testimony. Our Stake President then shared some marvelous council and testimony about anchors. It was really neat because all of the messages shared by stake leaders were based around having an anchor. If you read the First Presidency Home Teaching message for this month, President Uchtdorf talks about having a firm anchor. I'm glad the stake leaders are focusing on what the Prophet and his counselors are focusing on.

Another highlight of the week was I finished the book Jesus The Christ by Elder James E. Talmage yesterday. It is an incredible book! I learned so much since reading it on my mission.

This might come as a surprise to some of you, and it won't come as a surprise to others, but I have a hard time being quiet and allowing myself and others to think. This week I have spent a lot more time in quiet and pondering and reflecting back to my life and my mission and trying to see what God wants me to learn and apply in my life. God has blessed me with many gifts, it is my responsibility to listen to the Spirit and follow it to find out how I can develop these talents and seek more to bless the lives of others. To truly become and stay a disciple of Jesus Christ. I have 3 months of full-time service to the Lord to make patterns to become a disciple and to say "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life" (3 Nephi 5:13).

Love the Lord and serve Him the very best you can,
Elder Zachary R McKenzie
Iowa Des Moines Mission
D&C 6:34, 36
  Doubt Not, Fear Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment